Make room for recycling with an Equal Space policy
Local building codes require that a minimum amount of space is set aside for trash containers in every commercial building. This minimum space usually doesn’t allow room to put recycling or composting containers. The result? Businesses, apartments, schools, and other commercial buildings struggle to start or expand recycling programs because they simply don’t have the room.
It’s time we took a simple step forward and designed our buildings for a Zero Waste future. Use these tools to change your local building codes so there is equal space for recycling bins in your commercial buildings.
Tools to Help you Succeed
- Use this one-page handout to talk to your community about the benefits of an Equal Space policy.
- Use this decision guide to see what the right course of action is for your community and what questions you should ask along the way.
- Download model equal space requirements from leading communities including:
- Answer frequently asked questions about how this policy works.
- Use these policy recommendations to create an effective policy for your community.
- Mobilize your community to support an Equal Space policy with this guide to Community Organizing for Zero Waste.
- Connect with experts and peers that can help at every step along the way.
Want a little more hands-on advice?
Eco-Cycle has helped three communities implement an equal space ordinance and has decades of experience in community organizing. Schedule a short phone or email consultation with our staff.
More tools for you
Check the rest out of the tools we have for you here.